- 1 kilogram Braising steak (Or any stewing beef)
- 200 grams Streaky bacon (unsmoked)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoon Plain flour
- 300ml Red wine
- 1 Bay leaf
- 12 Shallots
- 1 Carrot
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and chop the onion and carrot, peel and crush the garlic.
- Trim any fat from the beef and cut into generous bite-sized chunks.
- Chop the bacon into strips.
- Put a pan on a medium high heat and brown the beef in a little oil. Then transfer to your slow cooker.
- In the same pan, fry off the bacon, carrot and onions until the onions have softened and the bacon starts to turn golden.
- Add the flour and red wine to your pan and mix well.
- Bring to a slow simmer and then add the bay leaf, shallots with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Carefully add the contents of the pan to the slow cooker and give it a good mix.
- Cook on low for around 8 hours.